Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Great wall... not so great at updating....

I really apologize for how long it's been since I've posted. I really have been working hard! More to come!



This was a Mao glass ornament thing in the cabbies rearview collection. Held it up in front of my lens... This is way outside the city...



So after we got off the cable car... there was a serious hike up. It wasn't the distance, it was the steepness and the irregularity of the stairs. Some were about 2 inches high, and 4 inches deep, some were about 18 inches high and 12 inches deep... so haphazard. Took about an hour to get to the highest point we went to... there was higher but it would have been a 200RMB fine, they closed it because 3 college kids went up there about 3 years ago and fell off and died. The guard told us that it was about one foot wide where you had to walk... stairs with no railings scaling the peak of the mounts, with no sides, just a one foot wide catwalk of stairs. I could have done it...





A little pygmy shrew! Or mole! Or mouse! Or marmoset!



This was the view right above the sign in the previous pic, showing the danger area that the kids died, and where its about one foot thick stairs... this was the apex of our hike.








OK so I went a little nuts with the macro shots.... sorry I needed backgrounds!!!!
These were scattered about, engraved stones with the clan/army who built the section of the wall. c. 1400
So this was a guy named Wu Feng I think... he followed me up the wall the entire way. Fanning me... grabbing my sweaty elbow like I needed help... sure I was out of breath a little but I was good! He eventually tried to sell me a variety of goods... including souvenier books, paper fans bla bla bla... I talked to him for a while cause we were up there for a long time, and got to know him a little better. He's a very poor corn farmer... and apparently the cigarettes he smokes are for corn farmers. He's 60 years old. Hey dad.... you are looking good!




He want's down!


Right side is Mongolia, left side is China. we were right at the border... pretty sweet.

I will edit this in photoshop but this was a cable ride you could go down if you paid some money... if you look at the right third of the pic in the middle the white dash above the water is a person. We turned around and went back up the wall to walk back down.

1 comment:

Jeffrey Crume said...

Hey TJ,
It's Marlo. Love your pictures and look forward to your updates. Seems like you are having the time of your life; how exciting for you. Hope all is well. Keep the pictures coming.